Cigar Dojo has been moving members over to its newest version of their cigar community app for a few weeks now, but now, today, has officially released it to the world. This new version is web-based and packed with new features.
The original Cigar Dojo app was born in 2012 and has since grown into the world largest social cigar app. Now, for the first time in eight years, it’s getting a major refresh. The new design is web-based, meaning you don’t have to download an app from an app store, rather you just visit the page and get an app-like experience. This change was due to restrictions imposed by both Apple’s appstore, and Google play, and possible future restrictions against tobacco. The new Cigar Dojo app/website is built as a Progressive Web App (PWA), meaning users can access the app through both mobile and desktop platforms at dojoverse.com. Cigar Dojo 2.0 was developed from scratch over the course of more than a year, allowing for new features like the ability to “check into” cigars, earn points and badges, groups, inline comments, and GIF responses.
Cigar Dojo 2.0 Key Features
- Cigar Checkins: check into a cigar and let your thumbs up/down rating affect each cigar’s overall rating.
- Sumo Belts: app activity earns points, eventually leading to karate-style belts that show progress within the app.
- Badges: every cigar checkin is tied to each cigar’s unique attributes, allowing for badge awards for smoking behavior, including smoking a certain number of maduro-wrapped cigars, full-bodied cigars, Nicaraguan cigars, affordable cigars, and much more.
- Cigars: browse through a searchable list of all cigars and brands. View stats on each cigar, including its overall rating, your personal rating, how many times your friends have smoked it, the cigar’s blend makeup, ongoing conversation on each cigar, and more.
- Brands: cigar brand pages take into account every cigar made by the brand and show users an overall brand rating based on the combined score of their entire portfolio. Brands are even given a ranking, making it possible to see who is the most (and least) favorable brands in the industry. View the entire catalogue of each brand by their cigars’ name or ranking.
- Leaderboard: view the most active users and track your current ranking—sorted by day, week, month, and all-time rankings.
- Groups: users can join and create their own groups, allowing for group privacy levels such as public, private, and secret.
- Events: find and check into cigar events, add events your your device’s calendar, and participate in ongoing comment threads for each unique event.
- Places: find and check into cigar-friendly locations, get directions, and participate in ongoing comment threads for each unique location.
- Timeline: reply to comments within posts, edit your activity, comment with GIFs.
There are hiden easter eggs in the new Dojo app for users to find, and new features will be added on a regular basis.